Sunday, August 25, 2013

Caleb's birth story

The practice that I went to decided to schedule to induce me on 8/21. So the morning of 8/21 I had to call the hospital and see if there was enough beds for me to get in. It was a long day to wait but I finally got admitted into the hospital at 4:30 PM :) The head nurse said the only reason she admitted me my last name is Collins and her last name was Collins, I guess it was my lucky day! The hospital was very busy that day and after they admitted me they got five more people coming in in labor and they told me I was lucky to be there today. In fact I think there was someone giving birth in the hall. Oh my! I felt bad they told me to come in since it was so busy but they did...

I had to wait till 8 o'clock to see my midwife and she was delivering babies pretty much the whole time from 4 to 8.  When she came and she decided the best plan of action was to break my water and see if I would go into labor on my own.  Which I did! The midwife also asked me if I wanted an epidural if I wanted to do this naturally.. I said I wanted epidural!  It took me about 20 minutes to start contracting heavily. In fact the nurse said "your uterus was not impressed by usbreaking your water" And of course as soon as she said that I went into contractions one minute apart. After about 30 minutes of going through really bad contractions I told John "please look into where my epidural is???" The nurse came in and said she had to get enough fluids in to me before the epidural came plus The anesthesiologist was really busy so he would be here soon as he could. Well after an hour and a half the anesthesiologist came in so they had contracted for about two hours before the epidural came. At that point they made John leave because he's not allowed to be in the room when I get an epidural they told him to leave for half an hour, get some food, and then it's okay to come back. They sit me up for my epidural and I feel like I'm going to die because I have been contracting for two hours nonstop and I don't even know if I can sit up to get it :( He marks the spot on my back and is ready to put in the epidural when I feel the big urgency topush  and I tell the nurse. She checks me and tells me I'm about to have a baby!!!! 

John almost missed the birth of his son... The nurse tells me to hold my pushing till we can find my husband that is very hard to do but I do it. The nurse finds mycellphone, calls John and luckily he answers and comes rushing back to the room. I only pushed for about 15 minutes but luckily he made in time to see Caleb born :) Right after he was born they let me hold them for a while and feed him. 

It was really nice tonight have to go to the  NICU this time.  My total labor was 2 1/2 hours all natural! Well technically they did get the epidural in last-minute so my legs were numb after I gave birth which just meant I had to stay in the room for about an hour and a half till I got my feeling back. By the time the nurses were done with us and then checking  Caleb we were in our next room by 230am in the morning. I was tired but happy! Caleb slept in the room with me the next 2 tonight. He slept pretty good the first night but was up every hour the second night feeding. I soon nicknamed him my little Shark b/c eat so much. We were discharged about 1 PM on Friday and went home to start our adventure with Mr. Man! 

No comments:

Post a Comment