Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Birth Story of Little Juliet :)

Birth date: 8/19/10 (SIX days overdue)

Birth Time: 6:31 PM

Birth Weight: 8 pounds and .09 OZ (the midwife asked me how that big of a baby came out of me!) And they told me the whole time she was going to be small, ha ha!

Total time of labor: 10 hours

How did it all start? My water broke in the bathroom (the same place it did two days before when I thought it broke and it didn't) So I called the doctor's office so they could check my water AGAIN! I thought it was a fake water break again so I went to the doctor's office by myself (John was already at work) During the drive to the doctor's office my contractions started while I was driving. They started fast and furious, at 2 minutes apart. I finally got to the office my water broke more and I knew with the contractions I was really in labor. My midwife did confirm that I was in fact in labor and then asked me "Why are you by yourself?" I said that I didn't really think my water broke and she couldn't believe I drove myself while I was in labor. The hospital was about 2 minutes away so I drove myself to the hospital also but of course I called John first and he was really excited and left right away from work to meet me at the hospital.

At the Hospital: I got to the hospital around 10 am and I was very calm when I checked in and told the the front desk lady I was in labor, she looked at me shocked and then asked "Why are you alone?" ha ha... I told her my husband would be here in 20 minutes then she said "He better be!!" I declined the wheelchair and walked myself up to Labor & Delivery and checked in there and the lady at that desk asked me "Why are you alone???" At this point I think it is pretty funny everyone is wondering why I am by myself. I get to my room and the nurse assigned to me is super nice and I really like her right away... plus one of the first things she did was order my epidural. John got to the hospital around 10:30 and about 20 minutes later they came in with my epidural, which was good b/c my contractions were about 1 minute apart at this point and get VERY strong. The midwife and nurse were shocked how fast and strong my contractions were coming. I was about 4 centimeters dilated when I got the epidural and they told me I would dilate really fast b/c of my contractions. The epidural was great, I just napped while I waited to dialate. At 5 PM they came in to check me and I was fully dilated so I started the hard part of labor (active labor!) I pushed for about an hour and half which was about the hardest thing I have ever done. It was physically and mentally exhausting. Part of the reason I had such a hard time was I broke out in a fever of 102 half way through pushing and Juliet heart rate was elevated b/c of my fever.

After she was born: They told me right before I delivered that they were going to have to call the NICU team b/c of my fever and her high heart rate. So after she was delivered a team of people rushed in ready to do tests and take her away. I was able to hold her after birth for about a few minute and then they took her away and told me I could come and see her in the NICU after about 2 hours. I started crying when they told me she had to be in there for 72 hours in order to check her for infection and if they did find an infection she would have to stay in the NICU for a week. I was worried but I knew that checking her for infection was the safest thing for her so although I was sad she went to the NICU I was happy they were being precautionary with her.

The next three days in the Hospital: It was difficult to have her in the NICU mainly b/c I didn't want them to give her a bottle and wanted to try and breastfeed but it is policy to feed them formula in the NICU and there was nothing I could do about it. So breastfeeding got off to a very difficult start (which I still struggling with but making good progress) I was also exhausted and sore from giving birth so I was not up for many visitors at the hospital. Also with the NICU you could only have 2 people back there at a time so it was hard to show her off to many people since either John and I had to be there to take one person back at a time. We were so excited when she was released on Sunday after all her labs came back saying that she was healthy and did NOT have an infection.

My coach: John was my birthing coach and I just want to say he did a GREAT JOB!!! I did not get annoyed with him once, he was really supportive and so helpful to keep me calm about everything that was going on. He was also soooooo in love with Juliet right away after he meet her, he couldn't stop talking about her, it was pretty cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment